Committee Summary, April – June 2018

Posted on

Apologies for missing the last 2 months, due to being busy with Nationals and then being away recovering from being busy with Nationals.

  • Following further discussions with the Council, details for the new Bold Park 2.9/5.4/7.9k event are firming up.
  • The results tag system is performing well, and now being used without the manual back-up.
  • The winter T & F programme is now underway, and includes meets at WAAS in August as preparation for Malaga
  • The Nationals in April went very well. Thanks to VenuesWest sponsorship, the bumper entry, and excellence cost management by the committee, a substantial surplus will flow to MAWA. Precise details can be seen by members when the MAWA accounts are published ahead of the AGM.
  • The UWA 10k track handicap will continue. A new race director is needed.
  • The Short RWC/RRC will continue, but now on exactly the same Sundays as the full RWC/RRC. Participation in the short event would have been higher if Deepwater Point had been avoided, as this always clashes with HBF Run for a Reason.
  • Athletes pushing strollers will be allowed at Sunday runs. They are requested to start at the back of the field.
  • New throws equipment has been purchased. The committee approved the purchase of a set of 8 starting blocks plus trolley for ECAC.
  • A photofinish package has now been purchased, using funds from the Perth 2016 trust. It will be used for State Champs at ECAC, and we also plan to use it for our regular Thursday track meets in the summer season. Any member who would like to be trained in its use should contact Richard Blurton.
  • For active members, helping at Sunday runs or at T & F is a requirement of membership. With our high membership we now have a large number of members on a reserves list, and these people must be prepared to fill gaps when requested by helpers coordinator Jim Langford.
  • Membership continues to rise and has now passed 600.

Committee Summary March 2018

Posted on
  • MAWA bid to host the AMA 2020 half marathon has been submitted
  • Large number of new members in February – now 553
  • The club has lost money when members have cancelled their bookings for our camps. From now on payment will be required up front
  • We have just been advised that we cannot hold our Aquinas run due to construction works at the school. An alternative has been found at Curtin. Details will be on the website and an email sent to members.
  • Equipment for the new results system is being delivered and it will be trialled soon
  • ABC are producing a news item on Cecil Walkley. It will probably be aired on a Sunday evening – as soon as we know the date we will put it on the website
  • We will cancel our Paypal account. It has only been used once since 2014.

Committee Meeting Summary February

Posted on
  • With the Australian and World Championships forthcoming, there will be track and field competition at WAAS this winter as follows: 3rd/10th/17th April plus all Tuesdays in August.
  • The club has applied for a grant from Canning Council to purchase new track and field equipment.
  • After close of the renewal period, the club had 520 members.
  • Our thanks to 3 new Race Directors: Alan Gray, Trevor Scott and Randy Hobbs
  • After many years as Race Directors, Jeff and Dorothy Whittam will be retiring at the end of 2017. We have decided that from 2019, the Track Handicap will be held at ECAC.
  • The new Bold Park run is a very challenging 3k course, so we will just be offering 1 or 2 lap options for the 2 GOT trophies. Yet to decide whether walkers will have a separate course in Perry Lakes.
  • The club will be applying to host the 2020 AMA Half Marathon Championship, which would be held in May.
  • MAWA nominees for AMA Awards have been submitted.

December/January Committee Meetings Summary

Posted on
  • The new automated results project has been approved by the Perth 2016 Trust Fund Board. The new system will be implemented starting in February and will require all Sunday Runners to wear small tags which will be scanned at the finish. The system will improve accuracy and reduce the time spent by the Results Team in compiling results.
  • A sponsorship agreement has been reached with VenuesWest for the 2018 Australian National Championships
  • Melville Council have agreed to sponsor all the Melville Runs.
  • More work is needed to prepare a suitable course at our new Bold Park run. We still need Race Directors for Yokine and Bold Park
  • A new Coaching Grant has been received from AMA, and agreement reached with our MAWA coaches to continue their programmes through to the end of the season.
  • Membership sits at 631, but this will reduce as 2017 membership expires on 31st January

November Committee Meeting Summary

Posted on
  • At this stage it appears that all of our 2018 runs will be approved by local councils. The programme and 2018 membership form will be on the website w/c 13th November
  • Short course RRC/RWC will take place May/June in parallel with the full RRC/RWC
  • Colin Smith attended the AWA AGM on behalf of the club
  • A new Tuesday/Thursday sign-in sheet will be produced allowing throwers and jumpers to sign onto the same sheet as runners
  • Full stock-take of all throws equipment has been completed by Jenn Parker. A minimum number of new items are required
  • Perth 2018 website is up and running. All profits from merchandise sale will go to the Perth Zoo’s numbat recovery programme. An article on AMA Champs will appear in December vetrun
  • Seven issues raised at the AGM were discussed by the committee:
    1. Children of members will not be charged visitor fees
    2. Recommendation for our Auditor will be made each year by the Treasurer to the AGM, for approval by the AGM
    3. Appropriate levels of cash are kept in our current account and term deposits
    4. Committee supports encouraging members to get iron-on numbers with their names. A sentence on this will be included in the welcome letter to new members, and a reminder put in vetrun
    5. The clear lines of responsibility for safety have been better defined in our documentation, and are clearly understood by the committee
    6. We can confirm that our insurance has no upper age limit
    7. A suggestion was made that, similar to some other sports, we grade athletes into say a, b and c grade and have competitions at that level, allowing more lower ranked athletes to win awards. The committee takes that view that with our handicaps and achievement awards, there is adequate opportunity for these athletes to win trophies.

October Committee Meeting Summary

Posted on
  • The lower fees for joint members can no longer be justified, so all members will pay the individual fee. Lower fees for Country members will be retained.
  • All individual membership fees are reduced by $5, which means that joint members renewing will pay $5 more.
  • The 2018 form will be online only and has been simplified. It will be available around 3rd week in November. A detailed description of the changes will be posted on the website and appear in December Vetrun. Couples can make just one credit card transaction for both members.
  • Our membership currently sits at 583.
  • New committee roles were agreed. Giovanni will take on Sunday Run Co-ordinator, Jenn: Track and Field, Janne: Medals and Trophies, Jim: Sunday helpers, Margaret: Sunday equipment.
  • We have just been advised that Cockburn have a fun run at Bibra Lake on 5th November and we cannot have our run there. When a decision is made on what we will do it will be posted on the website and emailed to members
  • Confirmed by WAMC that our Presentation Breakfast will be 29th July
  • A new AMA Coaching grant will be sought. The Coaching Programme will be permanently posted on the website
  • A number of factors contributed to poor participation in the inaugural short RRC. A second trial will take place next year, including a short RWC, but it will be held in the Autumn.
  • Marion Buchanan has joined the AMA Nationals LOC. Member Sally Sims has developed the Nationals website which will be live very soon. Online entry will be from mid January with closing date 16th March.
  • Melbourne Cup tickets and MAWA jackets can now be purchased from the MAWA shop.
  • Children of club members will no longer be required to pay visitor fees at club events

July Committee Meeting Summary

Posted on
  • Our WA team did very well at the AMA Championship in Darwin – see latest TFNL
  • We have received 5 new volunteers to help process Sunday results who are now being trained – thanks to all
  • We are still looking for some new Race Directors so the committee will manage the Racecourse event this year on 30 July and the Championship Medal Presentations are being made that day
  • New beams for our steeples at ECAC have been delivered in time for David Carr’s steeplechase record attempt but replacement bases are now also needed
  • The problem with the results page on the website has been fixed
  • We are ordering two new signs for Sunday runs with turn around arrows
  • Nomination forms for Committee Positions are now available from the Secretary
  • Committee Reports for the AGM will be put on the website under “Our Club” – “About Us” so they can be read before the AGM
  • Notice of special resolution to make amendments to our constitution will be sent to all members before the AGM
  • Copy of the proposed amended constitution will also be put on the website – please send any queries/comments to secretary before the AGM

June Committee Meeting Summary

Posted on

– A draft of the 2018 programme has been produced. We plan to use Bold Park as the Guess Own Time venue, and we have reverted to having a run on Easter Day
– Our Risk Management Plan has been revised and updated and is on the website ‘About Us’ page. Members are encouraged to read it
– The new Short Course RRC will start in September. Jim Langford is developing the entry rules which will be published on the website
– Our storage shed at ECAC has been revamped and there is now plenty of space to store all MAWA equipment
– Patron’s Trophy rules have been revised – see separate website post
– All venues, plus the awards dinner, have been booked for the 2018 National Championships.
– A list of members, (just names and membership number), will be placed on the website
– New track suit tops have proved popular and a top-up order placed
– An updated flyer to be available to helpers at Sunday runs has been produced
– Following revised Rules of Association affecting our club, some amendments to our Constitution will be put to this year’s AGM

May Committee Meeting Summary

Posted on
  • Membership increased by 11 to reach 555
  • Track and Field Risk Management Plans have been prepared and placed on the website. The WAAS plan has been accepted by VenuesWest
  • MAWA has a very strong team of 73 athletes going to the National Championships in Darwin. Campbell Till has been appointed Team Captain
  • The Perth 2018 Nationals LOC held its second meeting. The Awards Dinner has been booked at the Forrest Centre
  • The committee commended a very comprehensive State Champs TFNL special
  • MAWA track suit tops have proved very popular and a re-stock has been ordered
  • Important notices about the Perth 2016 Trust Fund, and 2018 Nationals Sponsorship are on the website. All members are urged to read them and give both matters some thought

April Committee Meeting Summary

Posted on
  • New Thornlie course will be measured by Steve Weller, so will count for road ‘bests’
  • Race Directors – Herdsman now Claire Walkley, City Rail now Rod Hamilton, Racecourse still needs a Director
  • State Championships were very successful. The time for throwing events was greatly reduced by the extensive use of EDM’s. Agreed with AWA that one of the EDM’s purchased for World Champs will remain at ECAC for use by any of the clubs based there.
  • Our nine athletes who attended the very well organized indoor World Champs in South Korea performed exceptionally well setting many State Records and nine Australian Records
  • New track suit tops have arrived and are proving popular
  • The Nationals LOC held a second meeting. Priority activities are to complete venue bookings, send out a sponsorship proposal, select a venue for the dinner and produce a flyer for promoting the event in Darwin.