Headlines and news from monthly MAWA Committee meetings
March Committee Meeting Summary
– Colin Smith attended a meeting with Canning Council about the new track at ECAC. Strict measures will be taken to ensure the track does not suffer undue wear
– The winter track programme was approved and is now on the website
– The programme to improve our Sunday equipment is almost complete – the large banner will be replaced with a signboard
– Vic and Jacqui Beaumont will relinquish their job providing morning teas at the end of 2015. A replacement will be sought
– A presentation event for half marathon, RRC and RWC medals and trophies is being planned – details will be posted on the website
– The club annual dinner will either be at Cannington Raceway or Gloucester Park. Cost will be around $50
– A fully online process for ordering clothing is being set up, and will utilise the club’s paypal account in exactly the same way as online entry for State Champs
– Current membership is 482
February Committee Meeting Summary
– The committee passed a motion from Damien Hanson that throws records can only be accepted at meetings organised by a state level organisation or above, (see website post)
– It was agreed that Damien Hanson purchase new scales for verification of throwing implements
– Membership at end Jan was 451, with more timely renewals than previous years
– New signs have been purchased and were used for the first time at Piney Lakes
– The downloadable stopwatch is now being used by Mark Hewitt as he compiles Sunday run results saving considerable time
– Alternatives to ECAC while it is closed for re-surfacing have been investigated, but none found to be suitable
– State Championship entry at 172 is an all-time record
January Committee Meeting Summary
– Thanks to all involved for the success of the Welcome Run. 172 competitors including over 50 visitors
– Thanks to Mark Hewitt for taking over Sunday Results, and we now have a pool of people who can do it to spread the load. Thanks also to Jim Langford for taking over the helpers list
– Nominees for AMA Awards were approved and the list is now on the website
– For McCallum runs starting east of Taylor St, (eg East Perth), members are not willing to move over to where morning teas have to be served. Therefore in future there will be no teas at these runs
– Ern Clark track will be closed for re-surfacing 2nd March until 1st May
December Committee Meeting Summary
– Club membership reached 512 on 30th November
– The club urgently needs someone to compile Sunday Run results – volunteers please. The committee thanks Sandi Hodge and Brigette Cheek for manning the visitor table, and Jim Langford for taking on the management of the Sunday Helpers
– The club may be prevented using lanes 1 and 2 for our Tuesday evening track meets. If so, alternatives will be sourced and track and field athletes canvassed
– State Championship entry fees were approved. No changes from last year
– The club will move towards a web-based system for ordering uniforms. The initial procedure will require members to download an order form from the web, and send it to Colin Smith. Eventually orders will be fully online.
– The club is nominating David Carr and Lyn Ventris for the AMA Hall of Fame
November Committee Meeting Summary
Details for our Welcome Run on 4th January are firming up. Visitors fees are waived, families are encouraged, catering is provided, and promotion will be in local newspapers
Membership fees for 2015 were approved. Details are in vetrun and on the website.
Mike Anderson will access new lightweight signs to replace our heavy metal ones.
The 2015 Sunday Programme is now on the website. Hardcopy will be sent to those members without internet access.
A new procedure for uniforms will be issued shortly. Information will be on the website, and orders will go through Colin.
Following further discussion it was agreed that the RRC and RWC events will not be re-named
October Committee Meeting Summary
– Delia Baldock and Mike Anderson were welcomed to their first committee meeting
– Membership has increased by 7 to 489
– Treasurer will propose 2015 membership fees for approval next month
– The 2015 Sunday Programme was approved and will be published in November. Thanks to Ante Perdija for taking on RD for Piney Lakes. Just City Rail with no RD.
– New male and female trophies will be awarded for the age-graded handicaps. Thanks to Giovanni Puglisi for the suggestion at the AGM
– Committee felt that marshalling by bike was a good idea if there was a helper with a bike prepared to do it
– New Sunday watch downloadable to laptop is on order. Other new Sunday equipment is being sourced
– Welcome Run on 4th January will be an advertised open run with no visitor fees to promote membership
– There will be a club dinner, probably next March. Thanks to Elaine Dance for taking on the organisation
– Examples of the proposed new uniforms have been liked by members who saw them
– Some clothing stock is being sold at bargain basement prices
September committee meeting summary
SEPTEMBER COMMITTEE MEETING SUMMARY
– Sunday programme for 2015 now at an advanced stage of planning. Particular features of the programme:
There will be Welcome Run in early Jan, which we will use as an event to promote the club
Wireless Hill is moved to spring so wildflowers can be appreciated
We are short of two Race Directors, Piney Lakes and City Rail
– The 2015 AGM will immediately follow the Claypit Circuit run on 20th September. It will be held in the Hockey Pavilion. Breakfast will be provided
– Some new signs will be resourced. Sunday equipment will be rationalized and made easier to pack into vehicles
– Summer track and field programme was approved. T & F Championship dates confirmed with 7th March Pentathlons and 14th/15th March main weekend
– Delia Baldock will be the new club secretary
– Membership increased by 12 in August to 482.
August Committee Meeting Summary
– Membership stands at 470 compared with 454 this time last year
– New banking arrangements will be put in place to achieve a major reduction in our credit card processing costs. Forms will be changed to include the 3 digit credit card security code
– ECAC numbers have remained steady at around 20 through the winter. ECAC has been booked for the summer season
– Eight nomination forms have been received for the 8 committee positions. Other arrangements for the AGM have been completed
– MAWA annual reports have been sent to AMA for inclusion in AMA AGM documentation
– State Championships in 2015 will be 7th March for pentathlons and 14th/15th for main weekend
-RRC & RRW medals will be presented at Darlington Dash 14th September 2014
-David Costin has volunteered to be race director for The City Rail Run. Thank you David and pleasing a new member has offered to help.
July Committee Meeting Summary
Please be advised that the ‘Committee Corner’ news tab is now active. Notes on discussions held at the monthly MAWA committee meetings can be accessed from the News tab at the top of the MAWA website homepage. Click on News and Committee Corner will appear on the drop down menu.
Committee expressed concern with the state of the ECAC track when wet, despite recent maintenance work. Committee will monitor the situation and alternate facilities may need to be used.
Membership stands at 463
Preliminary work has started on 2015 Sunday program
Richard Blurton will attend the AMA Annual General Meeting in Melbourne (September 20-21) and the meeting with AMA in regard to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in Perth after the AGM.
Geoff Brayshaw looking at Pole Vault training and competition during summer and further information will be provided as it becomes available.
Poor attendance at Winter Throws Training and Damien Hanson following up to gauge level of interest.
Sarah Ladwig taking over as Race Director for Membership Run which will be renamed The Welcome Run.
Carol and Gillian trialling Canterbury Athletic tops for comfort and fit.