Committee Summary – Jan and Feb 2020

Posted on
  • The new member additional fee has been raised to $20 to reflect increased costs for bibs and tags.
  • There will be no winter meets at WAAS this year ahead of Toronto World Champs. We held such meetings in 2018 and they were very poorly attended.
  • McCallum Lakes again impacted by Australia Day preparations. Timing will be moved next year
  • Agreed MAWA events to go into AMA postal half marathon – Bunbury, Joondalup, HBF Run for a Reason and MAWA club.
  • Agreed to recognise our 90 year olds by giving them free membership.
  • Members should always use our Events Calendar to check the details of club events – there is now a direct tab access on the website

Committee Summary December

Posted on
  • The AWA Heptathlon/Decathlon events in January will also be MAWA State Championship events.
  • The 2020 Handicap trophy will conclude with City Rail in August.
  • Entries for the 2020 AMA Postal Half Marathon will open in early February.
  • Agreed to purchase a new big clock for ECAC – partly funded by the generous bequest from the estate of Ray Gimi.
  • The Ray Gimi Trophy has been established to be awarded to the winner of the Woodbridge Handicap.
  • From January all MAWA members will have full access to the World Rankings database, under an agreement reached by AMA.
  • From 2020 the Jim Barnes Trophy will be awarded for the best age-graded score in the MAWA Club Half Marathon
  • Also from 2020 the John Gilmour Trophy will be awarded to the Athlete of the Year rather than the Performance of the Year.
  • The 2021 Australian Masters Games will be held in Perth

Committee Summary November 2019

Posted on
  • Welcome to new members Pam Thonell and Silke Peglow
  • Committee roles agreed. Janne will continue with trophies, Pam will be Sunday run co-ordinator, Silke will do Sunday equipment and share visitor table with Andrew, Mark will continue with track and field
  • Mark Kerr will handover facebook administration to Silke, Maureen Kershwar and Jenn Parker
  • Super Heavy Weight introduced as a new MAWA event – ask a thrower if you don’t know what that is
  • Melbourne Cup Lunch reported to have been very successful
  • Membership year will be changed to 1st October to 30th September to align with AWA track and field season. An email will be sent to all members with further explanation
  • Generous donation received from Ray Gimi estate – looking to have a trophy or event named in his memory. Ideas welcome
  • Following AGM discussion the committee confirmed that we will not pursue the idea of a clubroom for Sunday runs, but will focus efforts to have a clubroom at the new athletics facility being considered by Canning Council to replace ECAC
  • MAWA supports AMA plan for the National Half Marathon Championship to be a postal event.
  • Considered AMA proposal to eliminate the 60m event from the National Championships and committee was split 4/4. This has been fedback to AMA

Committee Summary April 2019

Posted on
  • Race results will no longer be compiled and read out after our runs, but the first 3 in each event will be noted in the web results. Compiling these results ties up a helper, and the read-out is not necessary as results are on the website the same day.
  • New course for Darlington Dash agreed, starting at Glenn Forest.
  • Agreed to purchase a second recording watch.
  • For GOT run, we will all meet at the Hockey Club where there are toilets and we will have the greeting. Then walk over to the start in Bold Park.
  • Andrew continues to pursue our ‘green’ agenda and has purchased more recyclable paper cups. But we also request that you bring and refill your own water bottle to avoid using the cups at all at the finish.
  • The track handicap at UWA is set for May 9th, and there is no ECAC meet that evening. See previous post on entry details.
  • Ernie Leseberg has agree to be our new webmaster. Many thanks to Hamish for the great work he has done on the website over the years.
  • Colin Smith is working on the design of a MAWA running cap.
  • The AMA Half Marathon will be in Perth May/June 2020. Jim Langford will lead the team that will plan this event.

Committee Summary March 2019

Posted on

  • Our onepiece uniform has been approved, and a compression top sample is being produced. Contact Mark Howard if interested.
  •  Due to high visitor numbers at our events a committee member will be available to assist Andrew at the visitors table.
  •  The Darlington Dash will now start at Glen Forest and go towards Darlington and back. This is primarily for safety reasons to avoid road crossings.  The new course will be 5.5km and 11km.
  •  Due to high entry numbers we expect to make a surplus on the State Champs. The committee have approved purchase of a second windgauge and a lapcounter/bell. 

 

 

Committee Summary February 2019

Posted on
  • Some changes are being made on how we show State Records. The State Record is the best performance in the State regardless of whether the athlete is a member of MAWA. Where the State record holder was not a MAWA member at the time of setting the record, the MAWA records list will also show in italics the best performance by a MAWA member, and that will be a MAWA club record. The vast majority of State Records were set by MAWA club members.
  • A new GOT course has now been agreed with the Kings Park Board. The long run will be 8.4km.
  • Confirmed that singlet or crop top is the state uniform, and not a T shirt. However, for athletes wanting to wear a T shirt for warmth or comfort, a plain T shirt can be worn beneath the singlet.
  • Bookings for the March camp have now closed.
  • The prototype one-piece uniform is due to be delivered soon. The supplier has been asked to produce a sample compression top to the same design. The plan is that both of these will become approved uniform, but we will order them directly from the supply when needed, (i.e. we will not carry a stock).
  • The MAWA nominees for AMA Awards were approved and our on our website

Committee Summary December 2018

Posted on
  • We have listened to member suggestions and are making an effort to consider the environment. The Club is phasing out plastic drinking cups and replacing them with paper cups. We are also replacing existing rubbish bags with plastic bags that are biodegradable.
  • Get your name printed on your club number. Just see Russell Smith and leave your number with him. $5 to members, (MAWA is subsidising $2)
  • Planning application for our store/clubroom project has been submitted to Canning Council
  • A one-piece club uniform design has been approved, and we also looking at compression top designs. See Mark Howard if interested
  • Emergency contact numbers are written on Sunday tags. If members have changed their contact, and want the correct one on the tag, they can see Delia to order a new tag

November committee meeting summary

Posted on
  • There will be an unveiling of a plaque for John Gilmour at the Marathon Club, 24th November, 3pm.  All welcome
  • Committee roles for 2018/19 are as follows:

Sunday Coordinator – Giovanni Puglisi
Trophies – Janne Wells
Sunday Helpers – Jim Langford
Track & Field Coordinator – Mark Howard with support from Jenn Parker on throws
Sunday Visitors, Maps & Equipment – Andrew Cuthbertson

  • Our coaching schedule has been updated on the website. Application has been made for a new coaching grant from AMA
  • MAWA is purchasing the 2 EDM’s (electronic distance measurement devices used for throws events) currently owned by Perth 2016 Ltd
  • Work continues to develop the idea of a MAWA  storeroom/clubroom at ECAC that was discussed at the AGM. The effort is focusing on a modular building that could be readily moved if Canning Council moved the track location in the future.

Committee Meeting Summary, September/October

Posted on
  • Membership fees will remain the same, except that the supplement for posted vetrun will increase to $20.
  • A special $20 membership will apply to new and rejoining members joining for the remainder of 2018.
  • Bold Park run very successful. Some issues identified, and a report by Paul Hughes on recommended changes has been passed to Giovanni.
  • 2019 State Champs programme agreed, and now on website.
  • Agreed to ask David Carr to be our new Patron. He subsequently agreed.
  • Clash checking of the draft 2019 Sunday programme is complete. The programme will be on the website in November.
  • MAWA will support the AMA proposal that Heavy Weight weights should vary with competitor age.
  • Worked to prepare for the upcoming MAWA and AMA AGM’s.
  • Membership at 625 is a new record for the club.

Committee Summary, April – June 2018

Posted on

Apologies for missing the last 2 months, due to being busy with Nationals and then being away recovering from being busy with Nationals.

  • Following further discussions with the Council, details for the new Bold Park 2.9/5.4/7.9k event are firming up.
  • The results tag system is performing well, and now being used without the manual back-up.
  • The winter T & F programme is now underway, and includes meets at WAAS in August as preparation for Malaga
  • The Nationals in April went very well. Thanks to VenuesWest sponsorship, the bumper entry, and excellence cost management by the committee, a substantial surplus will flow to MAWA. Precise details can be seen by members when the MAWA accounts are published ahead of the AGM.
  • The UWA 10k track handicap will continue. A new race director is needed.
  • The Short RWC/RRC will continue, but now on exactly the same Sundays as the full RWC/RRC. Participation in the short event would have been higher if Deepwater Point had been avoided, as this always clashes with HBF Run for a Reason.
  • Athletes pushing strollers will be allowed at Sunday runs. They are requested to start at the back of the field.
  • New throws equipment has been purchased. The committee approved the purchase of a set of 8 starting blocks plus trolley for ECAC.
  • A photofinish package has now been purchased, using funds from the Perth 2016 trust. It will be used for State Champs at ECAC, and we also plan to use it for our regular Thursday track meets in the summer season. Any member who would like to be trained in its use should contact Richard Blurton.
  • For active members, helping at Sunday runs or at T & F is a requirement of membership. With our high membership we now have a large number of members on a reserves list, and these people must be prepared to fill gaps when requested by helpers coordinator Jim Langford.
  • Membership continues to rise and has now passed 600.