- Masters triumph at State Open champs which concluded on Friday night (February 22nd).
- David Carr and Byrony Glass set pending world records.
- Preview of 2013 Masters Track and Field Championships which start on Tuesday (February 26th)
- Level 4 coach Margaret Saunders joins TFNL each month so that you can get “the edge”.
- Melissa Foster scored a gold long jump medal at the State Open championships and her running story is featured this month.
- Five pages of photos from this year postal relays.
On line entries for AMA National T&F Championships in Canberra, March 29-Aprul 1, now remain open until 11.59pm on TUESDAY, 26 FEBRUARY. There is no change to deadline for mail entries which must be received in Canberra by 22 FEBRUARY. However, entries mailed before 22 February will be accepted, to allow for postal delays. Enter online via link on the AMA Website
The February vetrun is now online – go to the magazines tab.
City v Country Challenge will be held on 16th February 2013 at 3.00pm at Bunbury Regional Athletic Club, Hay Park, Bunbury. A javelin event has been added to the program., making 3 throws events. The program is: 60m, 100m, 400m, 1500m run or walk, medley relay, shot, discus, javelin. Come and have a great afternoon’s competition with our fellow Bunbury athletes. Great preparation for the State T&F Championships. Competition followed by light eats Please contact Val Millard by 11 February firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 6468 7720 if you are going, for catering/programming.
Yet another pending world record for a MAWA member. Congratulations to Byrony Glass who threw 18.02m in the weight throw
A major initiative to place all the old vetruns on the website has been completed. This has been a time consuming task, and thanks in particular go to:
– John Oldfield for driving the project and for his work to set up the structure on the website and upload some early vetruns
– Jackie Halberg, Bob Hayres and Jeff Whittam for making their collections of magazines available for scanning
– Paul Martin for scanning and copying
– Hamish McLeod and Richard Blurton for uploading onto the website
The archive is on the magazines tab. It is an invaluable record of our history, and we commend members to have a read. You will uncover some gems. On a quick glance at a 1976 vetrun I discovered that:
– Jim Langford recorded the first marathon time under 2:20 by a West Australian
– A proposal to add orienteering, soccer, swimming and cycling to vets athletics championships was defeated
– A proposal to eliminate walks from our events programme was also defeated
MAWA’s Annual General Meeting will be held on WEDNESDAY 24th APRIL 2013 at 7.00pm at the Hockey Club Rooms, Perry Lakes Drive. Please make an effort to attend. The AGM is a forum for all members to have a say on important issues. Nominations for life membership and special resolutions to be lodged with the Club Secretary by 1 March 2013. Nominations for Committee positions will be accepted up to and including the AGM date. See the full notice published in the February issue of Vetrun
David Carr got back to his record-breaking ways at WAAS last night with a new pending world record in the 2000m steeplechase of 9:35.1, taking 3 seconds of his previous mark.
Jim Barnes will be holding marathon training sessions at 6am McCallum Park every Saturday morning. All members welcome.