Yet another pending world record for a MAWA member. Congratulations to Byrony Glass who threw 18.02m in the weight throw
A major initiative to place all the old vetruns on the website has been completed. This has been a time consuming task, and thanks in particular go to:
– John Oldfield for driving the project and for his work to set up the structure on the website and upload some early vetruns
– Jackie Halberg, Bob Hayres and Jeff Whittam for making their collections of magazines available for scanning
– Paul Martin for scanning and copying
– Hamish McLeod and Richard Blurton for uploading onto the website
The archive is on the magazines tab. It is an invaluable record of our history, and we commend members to have a read. You will uncover some gems. On a quick glance at a 1976 vetrun I discovered that:
– Jim Langford recorded the first marathon time under 2:20 by a West Australian
– A proposal to add orienteering, soccer, swimming and cycling to vets athletics championships was defeated
– A proposal to eliminate walks from our events programme was also defeated
MAWA’s Annual General Meeting will be held on WEDNESDAY 24th APRIL 2013 at 7.00pm at the Hockey Club Rooms, Perry Lakes Drive. Please make an effort to attend. The AGM is a forum for all members to have a say on important issues. Nominations for life membership and special resolutions to be lodged with the Club Secretary by 1 March 2013. Nominations for Committee positions will be accepted up to and including the AGM date. See the full notice published in the February issue of Vetrun
David Carr got back to his record-breaking ways at WAAS last night with a new pending world record in the 2000m steeplechase of 9:35.1, taking 3 seconds of his previous mark.
Jim Barnes will be holding marathon training sessions at 6am McCallum Park every Saturday morning. All members welcome.
- Bunbury gears up for the annual City versus Country clash.
- Two MAWA athletes star at AMA multi-event championships in Bendigo. Entries to close soon for State championships.
- Enter a team for this month’s postal relays
- Tom Lenane goes hi-tech.
- Steve Weller featured in this month’s profile.
- Final wrap on the Patron’s Trophy events.
WAAS will be unavailable for MAWA competition on Tuesday 15th January and Tuesday 12th March. Apologies for the late notice for next week, but the VenuesWest system that gives us early advice had not been updated for 2013.
The current club financial year ends March 31st, and this causes problems because the major income/expenditure during our state championships spans two different financial years. The committee intend to present a resolution to this year’s AGM that will change the club’s financial year to 1st July to 30th June.
The membership year of 1st April to March 31st will remain unchanged. In practical terms the only change that members would see would be that the AGM would go back to late July.
If any member has any comment or observation on this proposal, please contact Geoff Brayshaw on firstname.lastname@example.org
The January Vetrun is now online. Either go to the Magazines tab, or click on the link at the bottom of this sidebar.
Bunbury Regional Athletic Club is holding 2 competitions in January and February and have invited MAWA members to join them. This is a great way for extra competition before the State T&F Championships and to support the Bunbury athletic community, who always come up to Perth in large numbers for the State Championships.
19th JANUARY – WEIGHT (THROWS) PENTATHLON
16TH FEBRUARY – COUNTRY v CITY CHALLENGE
Provisional program: 60m, 100m, 400m, 1500m R/W, medley relay, shot, discus
(last year, City just pipped Country by a couple of points in the last event)
Both events held at BRAC, Hay Park, Bunbury, starting at 3.00pm, followed by light eats.
Contact Val Millard (email@example.com) or on Tues or Thurs for more info and to advise if you plan to attend, for program/catering purposes.